Total Pageviews

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

The One Way Date

Let me start off with the one-way date. Now every guy out there has had bad dates, not-so-good dates and the plain Godawful, wish-I-could-erase-it-from-memory dates. But what about the date that seems to be going so good, where things are just looking great and the main thought on your mind is whether you gonna get to second base or all the way home. And then out of the blue comes some remark so unexpected, that catches you so unawares that's its a few minutes before you even close your mouth and gradually it dawns on you  - you are on a one way date.
The basic concept of the one-way date is that one party thinks its a date while the other doesn't. I was introduced to the concept just recently firsthand. It all began when I set up a dinner date with this girl I've been trying to date for a while. I should have suspected that it was not quite the date I expected when she asked me if she could bring her friend along. Not usual on a date I thought, but I put it down to her merely wanting to go slow.
And when she came without the friend that evening, I was sure it meant that things were moving nicely along. Now she and I share a lot in common and conversation is never lagging between us. It was in the midst of this animated conversation that she dropped her bombshell. We were talking about the friends she rooms with and exchanging notes on roommates, past and present. Then she mentioned how she hates one of the guys who shares the house she lives in, but the second tenant is a nice guy. Now each of the two tenants rents a room and I know the house belongs to a third guy, her old friend of more than ten years, and I began to wonder just how big the house is. So I asked her casually. She didn't know the area, but she remarks, matter-of-factly, that its a THREE BEDROOM house!!!
Do the math. Three guys and a girl, the guys don't share rooms! Talk about deflated expectations.
Hope springs eternal in the human heart and I still clung to the faint hope that she camped in the garage or something. But my next carefully crafted question brought my castles in the air crashing down. Asked about her old friend and the house owner, she responded (and I quote) "Its complicated! I've known him for about 12 years. We were friends first, then we dated for a while [I kind of expected that part] then we didn't date for a while [hope raises its head } now we are dating again kind off [hope, crushed once and for all, slinks away ]!"

Yeah, I just discovered the one way date!!! I wonder if I can have it named after me

No comments:

Post a Comment